Monday, January 10, 2011

Bet Your 5th Grader Can't Do This!

A few weeks ago, I had some very dear friends come visit. They had just recently gotten the board game "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader". I quickly realized that I was NOT! (I don't know that I need to be admitting to this on a public blog, but...) I am normally the one opting to read the questions or keep score just so that I don't have to show how ignorant I really am by not being able to answer the simplest of things! I will tell you what, I may not know all of the state capitals or which mountains are in what states...but I know how (and love) to cook! Although, I don't think most kids would care to know what I know about food...but oh well.

So since I got my face handed to me by 5th grade (and sometimes younger) questions, I thought I would treat myself to adult only recipes!
bwaahahaha! <---evil laugh.

I actually wanted to take the time to share a few ideas for winter fruits. Most people think of summer when they think of fruits like strawberries or watermelons. Fruits are perfect and refreshing and light during those hot summer months. But what can you do with them during the winter to help warm you up? How about Sangria!?

For those that do not know, Sangria is a wine type punch. It can include any or all of the following:

*a light, dry, young, inexpensive wine;
*chopped or sliced fruit (often orange, lemon, apple, peach, berries, pineapple; occasionally melon, grape, or mango)
*a sweetener such as honey, sugar, simple syrup, orange juice, and/or fruit nectar
*a small amount of added brandy, triple sec, or other spirits
*some spices like cinnamon
*and ice and carbonated soda

The possibilities are ENDLESS when it comes to sangria. A great winter recipe that I recently stumbled upon includes some really nice Winter time fruits like pears, apples, and *blood oranges. Combined with wonderful winter flavors from a stick of Cinnamon and honey, mixed with OJ, Sprite, and even a little Grand Marnier (an orange flavored liqueur)!





I am actually going to take each and every winter fruit that I use regularly and dedicate a separate blog to each. This one i told you a little about Sangria. My next blog is going to be about the beautiful Blood Orange. The blood orange is just as versatile as making a sangria. I am excited to try out some things and review my success with you!

til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment