Monday, July 12, 2010

Got the Mommy Flu and Hid the Veggies!





I was able to bring my "mommy genes" out of the closet today. I have a daughter, who is eight, so it has been quite a few years since I have been able to "baby" someone. Yes mine is still VERY young, but she is so independent and grown for her age. I don't get to do as much as I would like. So relish in the few moments that I get to spend with my nieces.

My sister and her husband are vacationing in Hawaii at the moment, and her children have been kept by our mom, dad, and her in laws. My mother had the privilege of keeping her grandchildren for the past couple of days. I took my own little girl and went to visit with my mother and see my nieces and nephew. The youngest (Lexie) is about a year old. She is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. She is at the perfect age...walking and jabbering along like she knows what she is saying. I love it!

I have been joking lately with my husband about having another child. We joke, but in all seriousness, I am ready for another one.

So today, while at my mother's house, Lexie was needing to lay down for a nap. But of course, she wasn't having it! haha She was not fussy or anything, she was just trying to stay busy and stay awake. There was so much going on and so many things to see! She wanted to be a part of it all! After an hour or so of trying to get her to lie down and take a nap, I scooped her up, laid her on my chest, started rocking back and forth, and humming the same sweet little songs I used to hum to my own little girl. She was out less than five minutes later. I felt very motherly and proud of myself for still having "the touch".

I got home around 4:30pm to be greeted by my very loving husband asking "whats for dinner?" ah yes...my favorite part of the day! (and no i am not lying) I decided to keep with my mother/child mood. And what is the hardest thing for a mother to get her child to do?? Yes you guessed it...EAT VEGETABLES!!! But the funny part is, that I not only have to get my CHILD to eat them, I have to get my HUSBAND to eat them as well! I have been trying to get him to eat the most hated veggie of all time for the past week! Brussels sprouts!! (EWWWW!!!! right?...wrong. They are delish!) I succeeded earlier this week in the fact that I got him to taste a bite or two, but of course...that was all she wrote. He wasn't having any more!

So for tonight's menu, I decided to "hide" the veggies :) WIN! The menu consisted of meatballs in a cranberry BBQ sauce, mashed potatoes and brussels, and broccoli. I made up my meat balls like most would make a meatloaf, rolled the mixture in bite size pieces and flash fried them to brown them on the outside and hold in moisture. I then put them in the crock pot (or slow cooker) to finish them. I added canned cranberry sauce, a couple tablespoons of my fave BBQ sauce, about half a cup of ketchup, and 3 tablespoons of brown sugar. Very simple ingredients. While those flavors were infusing together, I started working on my sides. yummy :)

I took about 2-3 lbs of baby reds and about 2 cups of brussels. I chopped the potatoes and boiled them in seasoned water for about 20 minutes. (and by seasoned, i mean salt, pepper, garlic salt, and chicken broth)

Next i took my brussels sprouts and added them to a pan with a couple Tablespoons of chicken broth. Brought it to a boil, covered and reduced to simmer. After cooking them for about 5 minutes, I added 2 cloves of garlic and let it cook for another 5 minutes. Drain!

I also drained the potatoes and added the brussels to them. I mashed them both together. I then added a cup of half & half cream, a half stick of butter, pepper to taste, parsley and chicken bouillon granules. Stirred them all together, and VOILA! mashed potatoes with brussels sprouts! A great way to get your children (or husbands) to eat the evil vegetables!

I also had a side of steamed broccoli with a little salt, pepper, and butter.

Yay!!! dinner is complete! And for those that cannot visualize the colorful masterpiece that I have created, I have added a few pictures. The meatballs are red, and obviously the broccoli is green. And the potatoes have the skins mashed in also to give a little "red" and the brussels give a little "green". My food matches! YAY! (i totally just cheesed this up...)

enjoy the pictures and happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment