Wednesday, July 14, 2010

My Brain is Fried!


Well, let me tell you...I have not hit the books like I did today EVER! Even when i was in high school getting ready for semester exams or my ACT's. When I enrolled in my classes to get my catering degree, I had no idea what I was getting into. I was thinking it was going to be all business. How to promote and build you company...tips on decorating and how to make a menu. Although all of those things have been discussed, this course has a LOT of things I wasn't prepared to learn.

oh yeah...and for those that didn't know. I am going to school to get my professional chef/catering degree! :)

The lesson i was so diligently preparing on today was for stocks, sauces, and soups. I didn't realize all the different kinds of each! It was ridiculous. And on top of that, they all have fancy french names. ugh. I got very confused, quite often!

For instance...do you know the difference between a Sachet d'espices, a Bouquet garni, or the cajun trinity? I didnt until today! I knew what they were, just not what they were called.

I learned that the main difference in a broth and a stock, is that a broth can be served as is, and a stock is a little more dense and used in the preparation of other dishes. who would have thought!

this lesson was basically about "creating flavor". I have a cooking exercise to do within the next few weeks. I have to make a mirepoix to start the beginnings of my brown veal stock, and ultimately create Sauteed Medallions of Pork with Winter Fruit Sauce.

yeah this is going to be very interesting.

But way down here on Earth where most of us are...tonight I made lasagna! Way to brain fried and tired from studying and preparing supper, so i am just including a picture and calling it a night!

Happy Eating....til next time!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you were writing a cooking blog! This is awesome! Keep up the good work. Now, I must go eat because your picture made me thoroughly hungry.

    ReplyDelete