Tuesday, June 22, 2010

and for dinner...I'm makin' (chicken &) waffles

As per one of the famous lines from "Shrek" spoken by Donkey, with a little twist of course. With a slight smell of Pancakes in the air, from the days breakfast, and the frying of the chicken currently in the deep sea of grease, I had a craving. My eight yr old daughter looked at me like I had just said Megan Fox was a good actor. (she was disgusted, for those that don't know) Before I even finished the sentence, my husband had the deep fryer heating up.

Yes, that's right folks, we are having brinner! (breakfast mixed with dinner) So I proceed to the cabinets to get a mixing bowl. I gather my ingredients of flour, eggs, vanilla, nutmeg, etc. And for those that are wondering...Yes the recipe for this brinner will follow.

As I get everything mixed together, I start to wonder what could be done to make it a little extra special. Because as we all know...I am :) I go to the fridge and see some fresh blueberries. PERFECT! I could eat blueberries on anything! I grab a handful and ,eagerly but gently, I THROW them in the batter. I give it one good stir to incorporate all the berries and check my waffle iron. Houston, we have lift off!

I pour the batter and watch it flow with a stream of blueberries hitting the grooves and settling in. Already delish! I slowly close the lid and watch some of the delicious batter ooze out the side. CRAP! That's wasting beautiful batter! meh :( So anyway, at this point i hear the grease in the deep fryer sizzling, so i then proceed to the freezer, and can you guess it? I grab the bag of precooked, frozen, Great Value brand CHICKEN PATTIES! oh yeah...taking the easy route! I drop the course, round patties into the fryer basket...lower the basket into the bubbling grease, and 3-5 minutes later SHAZAM, fried chicken! *and for those that do not want or do not have a timer, when the chicken starts to rise to the top, it is done.*

I assemble my waffles and chicken, put a spoonful of whipped cream on top, and top with a little syrup and more fresh berries. It is an orgasm in your mouth! This is a promise!

oh snap...wouldn't you know it...by the time i remembered to take a picture to show you, i was putting my licked clean plate into the dishwasher. poo.

And for those who want it, I am now including my recipe for home made waffles, two ways.

For those that want to go the easy route:

2 Cups waffle/pancake mix
1 Cup Milk
2 Eggs

mix together and pour into waffle iron. yields about 10 servings. EASY PEASY!

for those that like to do a little more and feel like you made something semi special:

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of ground nutmeg
1 3/4 cups milk,
2 large eggs, at room temp., separated
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg white, at room temp.

and here is what ya do:
whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, egg yolks, vanilla, and 1/4 cup melted butter. Whisk the milk mixture into the flour mixture until a batter is formed. Take care not to over mix the batter.

In medium bowl, whisk the 3 egg whites until they just begin to hold a loose peak. Scatter the sugar over the whites and continue beating until they hold a soft peak. Using a rubber spatula, fold a third of the egg whites into the batter to lighten the base. Fold in the remaining whites.

spray waffle iron with cooking spray, or butter. Pour batter into waffle iron taking into consideration that the batter will continue to spread once the lid is closed. Cover and cook until golden brown and slightly crisp, about 5 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter. (If the waffle iron is well seasoned or nonstick it is not necessary to brush the inner surface each time before cooking the waffles.) You can add a handful of berries to batter, or you can just serve them up with berries on the side.

and VOILA!!!!!! you have homemade waffles. I hope you at least give it a try with the fried chicken, and by all means you can actually fry some chicken instead of using frozen patties like i chose to do. I will share my fried chicken recipe soon.

I just wanted to share a lil' something with you guys. I will have real home cooked meals and recipes posted soon, as well as a few funny stories and maybe even a "funny word of the weekend" after i get together with friends and family. And yes, i promise to keep you updated with the adventures of my kitchen.

til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment