Wednesday, June 30, 2010

for the sake of headaches everywhere.

Well guys, the headaches are still pounding away at my skull and eye balls! But thanks to modern medicine i have a little less pain sometimes during the day. The doctors are taking it one step at a time and doing a "process of elimination" thing. Nothing has been found yet.

But since this is a time when my headaches are a little less painful, i thought i would use it to give out some useful info about headaches. (thank you Kelly, for giving me the idea)

What can you do at home to ease them? What foods can trigger headaches, and which ones can make them worse? What foods help ease headaches? Hopefully I can shed some light on these questions today, for any of you that may suffer from the occasional headache or migraine.


For anyone who has ever suffered from sever migraines...bless your hearts! That is (in my opinion) one of the most painful things that can happen, besides the breaking of a bone or something. And yes i would rather go through labor again than suffer from the migraine that I have had for almost a week now. I was curled up in the bed crying like a baby. It was pathetic looking I am sure, but I didn't care at the moment. The pressure in my head...against my eyes....the dizziness and blurred vision. I even got nauseous and threw up a taco! A TACO!!!! ugh! But on the bright side there seemed to be about one taco's worth in the toilet. I had eaten three that night, but apparently I only needed two.

but back to the issue at hand...foods...and headaches and stuff.

I dont know any of this for a fact, just some info that i have picked up here and there and some of my findings during my searches.
The most common foods which can cause and/or increase a migraine (but sometimes what affects one person is fine for another) include

* peanuts and peanut butter
* caffeine in all products, not just coffee
* dairy products
* home made breads, but more importantly, the YEAST in homemade breads.
* avocados
* sauerkraut
* canned soups and packet soup mixes ( this one is a bummer for me, because when i went to the grocery store the other day, i bout quite a few Cambells soups, and a few boxes of Cup-o-soup. I LOVE CUP-O-SOUP)
* chicken livers
* ripe banana (wish i would have known THAT a few days ago...geesh.)
* MSG, a flavor enhancer which is now in almost all processed foods
* nuts
* cheeses which have been aged, i.e. cheddar
* red wines, beer, champagne, vermouth ( BOOO!!!!!!!! this one is a big bummer bc i am a wine-0!)
* chocolate (eh...this one would only piss me off if it was that time of the month)
* anchovies (ugh...)


Now when it comes to foods that help and ease your migraines...the best advice is simply to eat a well balanced diet with plenty of fresh, non-processed foods. That includes a variety of grains, fruits and vegetables. But here are a few specific foods that you may want to introduce into your diet. These are believed to have the diet headache migraine connection, and may cut down on your pain: (and i am not using the whole star point organization thingy like i did above...that crap was stupidly complicated!)

Peppermint, Cayenne pepper, Ginger, Fish and fish oil, Foods rich in calcium, Dark leafy greens such as spinach, broccoli and kale. Foods rich in magnesium, such as spinach (maybe Popeye was right!), Oatmeal, Wheat, Garlic.


And of course you can always go back to my PERSONAL fave. Chamomile Tea! I cannot stress this enough. Please check out the following two websites on more info about the benefits of Chamomile. Not only as an herbal remedy for so may stress and anxiety related issues, but also as a treatment for other diseases and illnesses. I swear by this stuff.


http://health.learninginfo.org/benefits-of-chamomile.htm

http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-chamomile.html


Hope I was able to shed some light on the issue:)

til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment